The University of Mississippi offers a range of services to professionals, educators, students, community organizations, and other members of the Mississippi community. Services for professionals and other continuing education programs are supported by the Division of Outreach and Continuing Education. Many faculty members, academic groups, student organizations, and other groups on campus have skills and interests that align with the needs of the north Mississippi community. We encourage you to contact the McLean Institute for additional help identifying resources or opportunities for collaboration beyond those listed below.
The University offers a range of academic programs and services that work closely with organizations and individuals throughout Mississippi:
- The Office of the Dean of Students and Volunteer Oxford organize and promote volunteer opportunities throughout Lafayette County.
- The William Winter Institute for Racial Reconciliation works in communities and classrooms, in Mississippi and beyond, to support a movement of racial equity and wholeness as a pathway to ending and transcending all division and discrimination based on difference.
- The Center for Population Studies and the Institute for Community Based Research are collaborative efforts focused on CBR and other research activities which engage with community partners and other organizations.
- The Office of Technology Management aids in the commercialization of technologies and intellectual property developed by UM faculty, staff, and students.
- The Small Business Development Center at the University of Mississippi provides training and technical assistance to businesses throughout the state. The Innovation Hub at Insight Park is a business incubator which provides intensive support to new business ventures in Lafayette County.
- The Social Science Research Lab has extensive experience in research design and methodology, program evaluation, economic development, survey research, needs assessment, advanced econometrics, and market research.
- The Southern Foodways Alliance documents, studies, and celebrates the diverse food cultures of the changing American South.
- The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning works to provide resources and assistance to faculty members related to their teaching endeavors. The Center serves all teaching faculty including tenure-track faculty, visiting faculty, adjunct faculty, and graduate teaching assistants and instructors. The Center also serves students interested in improving their learning skills. Services provided fall into three areas: support services, program coordination, and interdisciplinary facilitation.
- The Center for Mathematics and Science Education works to improve mathematics and science education in Mississippi by fostering interaction between academic and K-12 education communities, supporting the implementation of research-based methods in the classroom and promoting interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields. The Center offers a wide range of professional development resources.
- The Center for Writing and Rhetoric manages the University’s first year writing program and supports writing centers at each of the University’s campuses.
- The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs serves faculty and staff who are pursuing research or other sponsored projects funded by federal, state, or private agencies and organizations.
- The University of Mississippi Libraries offer a range of student support, technology, and research and archives services to members of the University community. Community members may also access these services.
- The Counseling Center provides individual counseling, couple’s counseling, group counseling, stress management, crisis intervention, assessments and referrals, outreach programs, consultations, and substance abuse services.
- The Student Activities Association provides campus entertainment and opportunities for student involvement in programming.
- The Ronald McNair Program and IMAGE assist eligible students in STEM-related fields prepare for graduate education.
- The Office of Volunteer Services connects students, faculty and staff of The University of Mississippi with the volunteer and service opportunities within the Oxford/Lafayette County community. Additionally this office is available to serve as a resource for information on community service, philanthropy and service-learning.
- FASTrack and the First Year Experience work to help students make the transition to being successful members of the University, Oxford, and North Mississippi communities.
- The UM Green Initiative and Students for a Greener Campus work with the University, student body, and local community partners to encourage sustainable practices in the Oxford-Lafayette area.
- The Ole Miss Alumni Association and the UM Foundation provide opportunities for University of Mississippi alumni to remain engaged with their alma mater. Retired faculty and staff of the University are served by Ole Miss Retirees.
- The Division of Outreach offers numerous opportunities for continuing education, including professional development programs, Communiversity courses, Academic Traveler opportunities, and the Lifelong Learners program. Summer programs offer a wide variety of opportunities to members of the University of Mississippi and LOU communities.
- Alumni are able to remain engaged with Ole Miss Sports by taking advantage of opportunities provided by the Ole Miss Athletics Foundation, the Ole Miss Golf Course, and Campus Recreation.
Arts and Culture
- The UM Box Office and the Events Calendar provide information regarding arts and cultural programming open to the public.
- The Ford Center for the Performing Arts seeks to enrich the intellectual and cultural environment of the University of Mississippi and the region by providing a venue for programming in performing arts, public affairs and the humanities.
- The UM Museum, the Department of Art, the Department of Music, and the Department of Theater Arts showcase the contributions of the University to the arts and culture. The University Museum also curates and preserves William Faulkner’s historic home, Rowan Oak.
- Paris-Yates Chapel provides a venue for religious and spiritual programs, weddings, and other events hosted by members of the Lafayette-Oxford-University community.